Wednesday, August 25, 2010

All My Love, All My Life: Post-Dinner Partyin', Yo!

So in case you're not up to date with all my whining about the weather on our wedding day, here's the backstory: The weather forecast went from 80 degrees, sunny and zero percent chance of rain at eight days out to showers and 70% chance of rain the day before.  Oh, crap.

Because of this, we realized that the chances of us hosting our after-party bonfire were pretty much slim-to-none.  So, 'F%*k it,' we said, 'We'll have the damn bonfire the night before and if by some miracle, the rain holds out, we'll do it all over again the next night.'

For the record, it did rain (hard) the following night so I'm mighty thankful we got to do our campfire the night before the wedding (although the thought of having four boxes of leftover Hershey's chocolate bars did make me briefly consider canning the whole event.  But only for a second.)

So at the rehearsal dinner, we spread the word that there would be a bonfire at our bed and breakfast afterwards and everyone should come hang out, drink beers, make s'mores and get a little dirty.

Honestly, this was one of my favorite parts of the entire wedding weekend.  Even though I had to set it all up in the dark (since it was relatively spontaneous) everything worked out just fine.  What surprised me the most was how many of our peeps showed up! I think there were over 50 people there at one point or another...


This is about one-third of the group.  Note the copious amount of hoodie sweatshirts present.  Be still, my country-lovin', cowboy-boot wearin', ever-camping heart :)





This photo above is me with my two best friends from high school.  I love it for the hoodie sweatshirts and the nostalgia behind the fact that it's a total throwback to when we actually were in high school and partied in corn fields and tents.  We literally have like, 8 versions of this photo throughout the years, including that same vintage sweatshirt MOH Pip is wearing. 

There may or may not have been some sneak attack "Icings" as well... (Sidenote: Did anyone else feel reeeeally, really old when the kids these days started "Icing" people and you didn't know what that meant? I did...Siiiiigh, five years out and I still totally miss college.)

Anywhoo, for the record, this was not my idea and I did not participate in the "Icing" of Mr Trail Mix (although I did cackle like a mad scientist on E when it happened!)


Why yes, hiding a Smirnoff in order to "Ice" the groom was my intended secondary use of the OOT bags!


Mr Trail Mix innocently wonders what glorious gift could be inside such a beautifully decorated bag...


Doh!! We all know what this means.  Bottoms up, Mr TM!

And in spite of having just stuffed our faces and drank the bar dry at our rehearsal dinner, the s'mores were still a huge hit!


Mmmmm, what's better than marshmallows, melty chocolate and graham crackers?


Add some beer, old friends and bonfire to those s'mores and you've got the recipe for my favorite kind of night...


Just a subtle (real subtle, Trail Mix) reminder that this was my LAST NIGHT OF ONLY WEARING MY ENGAGEMENT RING! 

Even though I had planned on going to bed by midnight, I was having way too much fun to leave the party and we ended up staying out until after 2:00 am! Since I go to bed by 9:30 most nights (school nights, at least.  Seriously, I'm not exaggerating, ask my friends) this was quite an impressive showing on my part.  And while I was worried that I'd be a bit tired and dragging the next day, you'd be amazed at what wedding-day adrenaline can do for a girl (that and Diet Coke. Must. have. diet. coke!)

My last night as an unmarried lady finished off with a few degenerate rounds of the game Categories, some squeals and hugs from friends and a bit of drunken snuggling with Mr Trail Mix.  Yes, we were total rule-breaking rebels and stayed in the same room the night before the wedding (we live together, the jig is up, people!) I loved waking up next to him the next morning and being able to smile through my mild hangover and say "Today, I'm marrying YOU." 

So, you've finally made it through Day One of our wedding weekend extravaganza, sit tight and stay tuned because that was just the opener, the best is yet to come!

Catch up, if ya want...




4 comments:

  1. reading this post took ME back to the days of partying in cornfields...bonfires...and hoodies :)
    What a fun pre-wedding night!

    Oh I just googled "icing" ...apparently I am really old...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a party! That is a great idea and looks really fun. I want to be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exact same "icing" shenanigans went on at my wedding! The best part of it? One of my husband's groomsmen got my husband's 85 year old grandma to ice him! It was so funny!

    ReplyDelete