Monday, February 21, 2011

All My Love, All My Life: Just Dance, It'll Be OK...

If there was ever a time in my life where I needed to 'Just Dance', this was it. I think we all know by now that my wedding was mildly disastrous and finally, at this point in the night, there was nothing left to do but drink and dance.

So that's what we did.  And things got pretty damn crazy, which means it was all a crazy fun blur in my mind but thank goodness we had Kelly and some friends with nice cameras to capture it all.  These are some of my favorite photos because everyone is (thankfully) having a blast, in spite of all the hiccups and never-ending rain.

Alright, so the power did short out on the band (TWICE!) during this part but the first time I laughed it off and it was fixed almost immediately and we resumed dancing.  The second time it happened, it took about ten minutes to fix and I cried but once it was back on, we just kept dancing.

So, in short, I think the best advice I can give you is that if things go wrong on your wedding day  (courtesy of the immortal goddess of wisdom known as Lady Gaga) JUST DANCE because things will be OK. Better than OK, actually.  They will be effing awesome.



Would you believe me if I told you that the person above was not a part of the band? Well, it's true! He was a friend of my parent's who is musically inclined and felt the need to jam out with our band during their rendition of  Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends." Needless to say, it was pretty epic. 

So here's the true lead singer of our band, Danny Katz.  I seriously cannot say enough good things about The Characters.  They dealt with a flooded ground, power outages, played a full hour longer than they were contracted for and pretty much saved our wedding from being the world's greatest hot mess.  If you're in the New York City area (or not, since our wedding was about three hours north of NYC) and looking for an amazing cover band, HIRE THEM.  NOW.  You will not regret it.



Huge thanks to The Characters for making our wedding so memorable.  You guys ROCKED.  IT. OUT.

And now, without further ado, I  present to you all- Photographic Proof of the World's Sloppiest Funnest Dance Party!





Contrary to what you might think after seeing these next two photos, our band did not, in fact, play Willow Smith's engaging little ditty "Whip My Hair."  Instead, I think it was some serious head-banging to Bon Jovi's "Livin' On a Prayer" going on here...





Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" never ever fails to result in awesome sing-alongs, complete with photos like the ones below!



Hell, even my mom knows the words and was singing her little heart out.





MIL Trailmix could not be torn off the dance floor (Well, really, none of us could) and she tore it up!



Some of Mr Trail Mix's friends re-living the college glory years (Hellooooo, sloppy frat formals! Dooooon't stop believing! Hold on to that feeeeeeeeling!)



Kelly (our photographer) packed up and headed out around 10:00 pm, so the rest of the photos I have are all from friends.  I think it's probably better that this part of the night was not professionally documented because things degenerated.  Quickly.


I swear I am not grabbing myself in the photo below, I am merely enthusiastically fist-pumping with one hand while trying to prevent the bottom of my dress from becoming absolutely filthy (that mission totally failed. Thank goodness for expensive dry cleaners!)
In case you couldn't tell from all these photos, the night included a lot of alcohol. At one point, I remember chugging (like, top to bottom in 10 seconds) a Jack and Coke and then wondering if I was going to hurl.  Thankfully, I did not because that would've been the real cherry on top of my sh*tshow of a wedding, huh? Yup, you stay classy, San Diego! 
And here for your viewing pleasure, is one of my favorite non-pro pics from the entire wedding weekend.  Barefoot, hair in a pony tail, fist pumping and singing while one the lap(s) of three of my friend's boyfriends.  It never, ever fails to make me crack up every time I look at it. We're all so intense.


It's also Mr Trailmix's personal tradition to finish any event where he wears a tie with said tie around his head, Rambo-style.  If it weren't baby-blue, he might actually look a little bad-ass. As for me? Well, I think we all know how good I was feeling by this point, thanks to my good guy friends Johnnie, Jose and Captain Morgan :)


And finally, the band finished up the evening with The Beatles' "Hey Jude" and an impromptu singing circle formed around us.  Picture it- everyone's singing yelling "Naaaah nah nah nah-nah-nah naaaah, nah-nah-nah naaaah, heeeey Jude' and we're in the middle, just smiling, spinning, so happy (and, according to Mr Trail Mix in this photo, number one?)

I love it.  I love this picture so much. It was one of the best moments of my life.


And with that thrilling conclusion, the band's final set ended, we grabbed some late-night pizza the caterer provided (of which I have zero photos) and boarded our shuttle back to the hotel for some silly, after-party debauchery.

Game. Set. Match. 

Siiiigh, it's still hard to believe it's over, the night went by so quickly, in a blur of singing, dancing, laughing and smiling (with a few tears thrown in for good measure.)

Don't worry, I still have a few posts left up my sleeve (cake-cutting, photo booth, budget) so this isn't my last post or anything (not yet...*sob) but I wanted to tell the dance-portion of our wedding as one big slop of a story, so there you are...

Follow along, if ya want! 



No comments:

Post a Comment