Monday, March 15, 2010

Vintage Family Wedding Photos

I love the idea of displaying photographs of our parents' and grandparents' matrimonies at our wedding.  I think it's a really sweet way to honor the two families coming together and to give a face to those who can only be with us in spirit.

I'm in the process of tracking down the pictures from each of our grandparents' wedding day as well as both of our parents'.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all six but I'm going to try my hardest.  My FMIL emailed me the scanned versions of two out of the three I had requested and she is still on the hunt for the third (Mr Trail Mix's paternal grandparents' pic seems to have gone AWOL.)

Here's the two she sent me:




The top photo is Mr Trail Mix's maternal grandparents' wedding photo and the bottom is of his parents.  Look closely, notice anything similar about the two dresses? Well, they are one and the same.  FMIL Trail Mix wore her mother's dress for her wedding, how lovely (and cost-effective) is that?

I'm also particularly digging Maternal Grandmother's colossal tiara (would that be called a crown then? Whatever you call it, it's massive!)

I'm hoping, after the wedding, to take these two pictures, along with the third one that is still missing, and frame all three along with a picture of the family from the Trail Mix wedding.  A nice, symbolic way to honor the many weddings throughout the generations of the family, don't you think? And of course, I'll do the same for my family as well (although we're not sure if we can find a wedding pic of my paternal grandparents, research is still being done on that one...) I'm picturing a long, rectangular matte with all four pictures, from oldest to newest set portrait-style.

Will you be displaying family wedding photos at your wedding?

3 comments:

  1. Love them! It was my fiance's paternal grandparents' picture that we couldn't find either - We actually are using another picture of them, because we don't think there are any pictures from their civil ceremony (in Syndney!). I blogged about it here: http://soontobemrsf.blogspot.com/2010/03/one-of-my-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i WILL!! I've been collecting them forever...long before our wedding...since high school?? I have wedding pictures of ancestors in the mid 1800's! We'll be showcasing the wedding pictures of all of our aunts and uncles too - many of them are traveling to the wedding from far away, and I think it will be a special way to celebrate all of our family love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool!

    But the wedding photos of my grandparents are lost. And I have pictures of my parents or in-laws

    But it is a good idea!

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete