Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tablescape, Take 3

After reading that title,you might be thinking to yourself 'Why is Trail Mix so fixated on the table numbers?' The answer to that question is 'I have no freakin' idea.' I guess for me, tablescape posts are my equivalent to Miss Pug's and Miss Guinea Pig's dress posts.  Obviously, people notice the dress way more than they notice the table decor so I think they're completely warranted (plus I love looking at wedding dresses.) Me, on the other hand? Out. Of. Control. I totally recognize that the tablenumber posts have gotten out of hand, so this will be the second-to-last one I do, I (really do!) promise.

A number of you creative readers suggested reversing my last table number attempt, using the decorative paper cutout with the white cardstock background as the number.  Figuring out how to do this took a bit of thinking so I'll offer up a brief tutorial...

I used Word to print out a (totally random) number in about size 300 font and then used my scissors to easily cut the number out.  Other materials included an exacto knife, decorative paper and glue dots.


(Personal Photo)

I used the cut-out number as a stencil and traced the number onto the decorative paper, remembering not to make it backwards this time...


(Personal Photo)

Once I had traced a very light outline of the number, I took my cue from Miss Cola to try my hand with an exacto knife.  It went surprisingly well, given my lack of crafting ability and hand control (and since she's such a redonk crafter, I kind of assumed that mine would look horrible but nope!)


(Personal Photo)

I used the glue dots to attach the number cutout to my white cardstock.  And voila!


(Personal Photo)

While I like the look, I think I need to make the numbers smaller.  But other than that, I'm very happy with these and I think they'll look great on the tables.  Just for fun, I did another (terrible) mock-up of my centerpieces (obviously ignore the poor, dried/dead hydrangeas and picture the flowers as a loose, lush bundle of yellow and white blooms.)


(Personal Photo)

Also, since I'll have the number cut out, I'll probably use that for the other side of these and make them double-sided! Brilliante!

(Personal Photo)

I think I'll make the actual numbers significantly smaller but otherwise, I feel good about them! Hooray, that means at most only one more post you'll have to skim through about my obsession with my table numbers!

Ok, 'fess up: What detail of your wedding could you (or have you!) written multiple posts about? Please assure me that I'm not alone in this psychotic behavior! 

4 comments:

  1. Those look great. I can't say that I've written a ton of posts about something wedding related I've obsessed about. But like you, I obsessed about the table numbers for a long time, along with some other stationery items. I mostly dealt with them in my head and trying to browse the net and other resources looking for ideas. I have finally nailed them down (and did blog about them) and absolutely love them! So I think it's okay to obsess sometimes, it helps us work through our thought process to nail down what we are really happy with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look really good! You did such a great job on them! I can't wait to see the final product and the rest of the other numbers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the birch - such a great detail!

    I had multiple shoe posts - there was quite a bit a drama with it (Zappos shipped my original pair to someone on the other side of the country, so it was quite the debacle to locate another pair in my size).

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I left something for you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete